Monday, October 30, 2006

Hey wait, don't throw that out...

When you purge your belongings, its always hard to know where to start, especially if the task seems overwhelming due to the amount of stuff you have to sort through. I write with the awareness that one man's junk is another man's treasure. After our garage sale this summer, I hauled the leftovers to the curb for the Monday morning trash pickup. A guy pulls up and asks if he could have the BBQ grill, which wasn't even a part of the sale. I was just getting rid of the rusty of piece of metal. He drove away like he had found a brand new one. A blog buddy [stepchild] wrote my thoughts on the whole matter of kids. We have been doing church simply, in our home with a few other couples, for about a year and a half now. Invariably, when people (always churchgoers) find out what we are doing, the first question is "what about the kids?" Like a smartalek, I say "what about them?" What they usually mean is, how do the kids learn about the God and Jesus and the Bible with out the church as we know it. I hide my offense in their assumption that I am insufficient to lead my children to awareness of those truths. I have to keep in mind that I have been sorting through my pile labeled "Children and Faith" for quite some time now. So when a collector looks at the things I've discarded at the curb, an honest first reaction is to scramble and try to save the precious things from destruction. I don't need them anymore, so I don't put up too much of an argument. What I've kept and taking with me on the journey is a belief that children should be children. Let them play, imagine, create, explore and mostly, learn the way children learn, by watching what Mom and Dad do. Try as we may, but there will never be a greater force on our children than their parents. As a Dad, I take this very seriously.

2 comments:

Matthew said...

Hey Watchman,

I had a similar experience when I first moved to Spain. As a church planter I began to ask what is absolutely necesarry in order to be the/or a church. I felt like I was doing a spiritual, pretty intense spring cleaning where I moved everything (All the Pictures, furniture, clothes- everything in my spiritual church house) out into the front yard. Then I very selectively began to bring some things back in. Some items seemed to be just a matter of taste, but other things seemed like down right garbage. I think I am still redecorating.

Cheers,
Matt

Watchman said...

nels,

I have no idea who the bloke is. sort of like God, in a way. Mysterious, intriguing, uncertain of who he is, but seems to have some really important things to say that we better pay attention to. I'm fine with that kind of annonymity.

watchman