Wednesday, June 07, 2006

The World is Flat - Pt 2

Changes are happening around us at an incredible speed. I think of the cell phone I have in my pocket. I am ashamed to admit this, but I can remember telling people before I got one, that I feared they might be the next CD radio; Fun for a few, but will fade over time. Did I ever have that wrong. Fast forward to today, I use that thing everyday. If I had to choose, I would forget my wallet at home as opposed to my cell phone. The reason cell phones and other such devices are so important to us is that they are forms of personal power. Without your phone, you feel disconnected. You are unable to access your means of communicating with others. This is the effect of the flattening of the world. You and I have access to so much communcating power, it is now taken for granted. I heard a commercial recently for a long-distance company boasting about all calls to Europe being free. I pondered the relevance of that offer. A few years ago, I'm not thinking that offer is that great for me, because who wants to call Europe!? Sure, I might know someone or have a family member there, but the cost would have been so high, I couldn't afford it any way. Now, its not that big of a deal. The world is flattening right before our eyes.

No comments: