I apologize if this seems self serving, but I found it helpful as a writing exercise, I decided to try another 25.
1. I’m afraid I may have a reaction to caffeine that affects my sleep in a weird way, so I have been off caffeine for a month.
2. I‘ve taught myself a number of skills over the years, and I easily forget that this is a uniqueness to my personality. I assume that since certain things come easily to me, they should be just as easy to someone else.
3. I eat better and less now that I am immersed in the creation of food. Instead of being tempted to eat, I have a greater respect for what I eat.
4. I would rather spend money on memory making rather than acquiring possessions. If I were given $500 to spend, I’d take a weekend trip over buying a flat panel plasma TV.
5. I don’t understand the appeal of traveling on a cruise ship. My idea of a cruise is taking a canoe into the Boundary Waters for a week.
6. The food I am embarrassed to admit that I like: Crunchy Cheetos.
7. I am not afraid of heights, but snakes still creep me out.
8. If I win the lottery, and no longer have to worry about income, I would build a workshop to mill lumber and craft furniture in the winter, and grow a massive market garden in the spring, summer and fall.
9. I like teaching others about things I enjoy.
10. The guitar solo in Blue Collar Man by Tommy Shaw made me want to learn how to play guitar.
11. The concert I am embarrassed to admit I wish I could have seen: Kiss.
12. I’ve recently learned how to not wear a watch.
13. I own and have read the hardback versions of all the Tom Clancy novels.
14. I grew cherry tomatoes in a 3x3 plywood box that I made when I was 10. And I wonder why I eventually became a chef.
15. I actually like cleaning stuff. I think it makes me feel in control of my environment.
16. I brought home a beagle last year for my wife’s Valentine’s Day gift. It’s the single smartest decision I have ever made.
17. I decided not to play football my sophomore and junior year of high school. Years later, I look back on the resolve to make that kind of decision at a young age and wonder where that inner strength came from.
18. I collect old signs and hang them on my outdoor patio. I’m not sure why.
19. One criterion that I use in choosing a book to read is, will it make me think?
20. In my late 30’s, I went through a season of depression, and one beacon of light during that time was seeing Blue Man Group in Las Vegas. After the show, I wasn’t sure what I had just witnessed, but I was convinced it was something important. I later realized they were telling me to pursue my dream.
21. In my college years, I memorized a countless number of bible verses and could quote them word perfect. To this day I don’t know if the motivation to do that was virtuous or not.
22. I went to a high school that utilized corporal punishment, in other words, I got my ass beat with a wooden paddle when I got out of line. This will shape your worldview.
23. I am drawn toward people who know where their pain comes from.
24. I wish men still wore hats. I’d wear one now, but I’d hate to draw that kind of attention to myself.
25. I’ve worn Levi’s 560 jeans for fifteen years, simply because I don’t like to think about what I will wear. I know my size, so when I need a new pair, I don’t even have to try it on in the store. I like this kind of stability.